The east coast as perceived
1600 (Nov 11) A charter is granted to the Marquis of Hamilton under the great seal of the Abbacy of Aberbrothwick.
1601 Sasine (a conferring of possession of feudal property) is given to Thomas Pearson of Lochlands, as senior bailie of the burgh.
1603 James V1 of Scotland also becomes James 1 of England.
1604 (-1608) James, Marquis of Hamilton is the last Commendator of Arbroath Abbey. He has converted to Protestantism.
1606 (Jul) The Abbey is made 'a temporal lordship' for the Marquis of Hamilton.
1606 A royal decree requires ships of "the Kingdom of Great Britain" to fly the Saltire & St George's cross, amalgamated in one British Flag.
1607 Lindsay of Kinblethmont, vice-chancellor, is granted the title Lord Spynie by King James VI.
1608 The Abbey is formally dissolved.
1608 (-1609) John Aikman is Burgh Treasurer.
1609 Extensive repairs are carried out to the Harbour.
The mutual feuding between the families Lindsay and Ogilvie only cease in the early years of this century (see 1446).
1610 William Camden, in ' Britain, or a Chorographical Description of the most flourishing Kingdomes, England, Scotland & Ireland ', describes the area beteween the River Tay & Red Head thus: ' From hence (Dundee) standeth within sight Brochty-cragge, a good fortresse which the English garison-souldiers manfully defended & made good for many months together, what time as in their affectionate love to a perpetuall peace they desired & wished for a marriage betweene Marie, heire apparant of Scotland, & Edward the sixth King of England, & upon promise thereof demanded it by force of armes, & in the end of their owne accord abandoned the said piece. Then there lieth upon the open Ocean Aberbroth, short Arbroth, a place endowed with ample revenewes & by King Willam dedicated in old time to religion, in honour of Thomas of Canterbury. Beside which the Red-head shooteth into the deepe sea, & is to be seen afarre off '.
1612 For the town's harbour restoration, Dundee gives £100 & Edinburgh 250 Marks.
1620 The population of the town is approx. 1,500.
1620 - 21 Colliston Castle's entrance doorway is built up and a new entrance bearing the date 1621 is constructed, although this will later be reversed, the 1621 door becoming a window.
1628 Simeon Durie is a Minister in Arbroath.
1633 The 11th Earl of Angus is created Marquis of Douglas.
1638 Four sons of Arbroath Bailey (Bailie) Patrick Lyell (wife Eufemia, maiden name Simson), emigrate to Sweden.
16?? Newgate House believed to have been built during this century. Robert Carnegie lived here in the later 1600s when it was a country house surrounded by cornfields & an orchard.
1653 Almerlieclose House, Arrott St, is built.
1654 Further extensive Harbour repairs are undertaken.
1660 After the restoration of Charles II, a short period of Episcopal worship occurs at St Vigeans under Rev Patrick Strachan. His son George, trying to succeed him in similar fashion, is rejected by the Presbytery.
1662 (Apr 1) The Kirk at St Vigeans is described as ' the Kirk of Aberbrothock, called St Vigeans '.
1663 The Fraser family arrive in Arbroath.
1665 St Vigean Kirk session records begin. One decree orders that: 'no Auchmithie fisherman go to Arbroath on the Lord's day or into any alehouse except for refreshment in going to or coming from church'.
1670 Colliston Castle is occupied by the Guthries until this date.
1678 Kinblethmont has been aquired by John Carnegie of Boysack.
1679 Kellie Castle passes to the Earl of Panmure.
1681 (Jun 27) James Butchart's vessel 'George' departs Arbroath for London.
1681 (Sep 26) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from London.
1682 (Jan 24) James Butchart's vessel 'Elizabeth' arrives at Arbroath from Holland.
1682 (Feb 22) James Butchart's vessel 'George' departs Arbroath for Dunkirk.
1682 (Apr 8) James Butchrt's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Rotterdam.
1682 (Apr 11) James Butchart's vessel 'George' departs Arbroath for Dunkirk.
1682 (Oct 9) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Stockholm.
1683 (Sep 4) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Konigsberg.
1684 (Jan 4) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Dunkirk.
1684 (Feb 27) James Butchart's vessel 'George' departs Arbroath for Rotterdam.
1684 (Apr 5) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Rotterdam.
1684 (Apr 28) James Butchart's vessel 'George' departs Arbroath for Danzig.
1684 (Sep 3) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Konigsberg.
1684 (Oct 7) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Dunkirk.
1685 (Jan 2) James Butchart's vessel 'George' arrives at Arbroath from Dunkirk.
1686 The Burgh Tolbooth is built ( of stone from Abbey ruins) on the east side of High Street as a Town House & prison.
1687 John Auchterlony, Laird of Guynd, describes Arbroath as ' a pleasant sweet place & excellent good land about it. They have a shore, some shipping & a small trade. It hath one long street & some bye streets. It is tolerably well built & hath some good houses in it'.
1690 (Jun 7) The town is referred to as 'Aberbrothwick' in an Act Of Parliament on this date.
1691 The west tower of Colliston Castle is sold to the Gordon family.
1693 An engraving of the town is produced by Slezer.
A late 1600s - 1900s record of the weavers' affairs, 'The Arbroath Weavers Incorporation' (aka 'The Hairy Book') is still in existence.
1699 (-1736) No communion is taken in St Vigeans church because parishioners believe the consumption of alcohol will cause the building to fall down. Resuming communion in 1736, the congregation sit outside on the grassy mound lest the church falls about their ears.