1700 (approx) The original Old Brewhouse is built by a shipmaster near Danger Point. It will in years to come be variously an inn, a school, a dwelling house & a ship's chandlers. Danger Point is not lightly named - at least two more houses, standing between the Brewhouse and the sea don't survive the ravages of wind & wave.
1705 The beginnings of Auchmithie emmigration to Arbroath. Lord Northesk, unhappy about losing free labour, petitions the law courts. They decree that fishermen have no rights & are vassals or slaves of 'his lordship', who imprisons a number of them in Red Castle's dungeons.
1706-7 A great storm destroys most of the harbour which has received insufficient funding for many decades.
1707 (Jan 16) The darkest day - when the law of Anglo-Scots union is passed by the Scottish Parliament. The Earl of Seafield touches the document with the royal sceptre saying 'there's the end of an auld sang'. Of course it isn't, but there is is a lengthy and embarrassing pause during which an entire nation will forget the words until 1999......
1707 (May 1) The law of Anglo-Scots union is passed at Westminster.
Much later (in the late 1980s) a Scots songwriter, born in the town which declared Scotland's independence to the world when the Declararation of Arbroath was signed and delivered to the Pope in 1320, will feel compelled to pen these words :
1714 (-1727) During this period (the reign of George 1), the burgh
council aquires the land enclosed by the precinct wall to the south of
the ruined Abbey & allocates it as building sites.
1715 The Spink family connection with fish begins now.
1720 Major repairs are required to the walls of St Vigeans Kirk.
1721 The walls of St Vigeans Chapel (not thought to be the original 11th
century building) are taken down & rebuilt into a dovecot.
1721 Ownership of the west tower of Colliston Castle passes to the Chaplin family. New construction occurs.
1724 Arbroath's (1st ?) Provost is John Lamb. The first Town Clerk is Alexander Doig.
1725 (-1742) A new harbour is constructed (where the 21st century inner harbour will be), at a cost of £6,000, allowing an increase in trade, mainly flax. St Mary's Chapel, in existence since before 1455, is demolished to accomodate the harbour.
1730 Prior to this date the hotel (later known as 'The White Hart') at the SW corner of Kirk Wynd, is owned by Patrick Wallace. The site has served as a howff & staging post since the 1500s.
1734 (Oct 13) William Small is born in Carmyllie. At 24 years of age, he crosses the Atlantic to fill a post in William & Mary College in Virginia, USA where, between 1758 & 1764, he is Professor of mathematics & phylosophy. The foundations of modern university teaching are attributed to him, one of his students being Thomas Jefferson, future American President & co-author of the USA's Declaration of Independence. The inspiration for this document is, of course, the Declaration of Arbroath with which Small is intimately familiar. He returns to Britain in 1764, receives his MD in 1765 & establishes a medical practise in Birmingham. He assists in planning & building a hospital there which will be completed in 1779. He dies in that city on Feb 25th 1775 from malarial fever contracted in Virginia.
1736 Prior to this date Arbroath has had little foreign trade ( however, see 1681- 85) since perhaps exporting fish, wool & hides in the middle ages, although smuggling has been rife.
1738 A local weaver makes a course linen from yarn. His merchant (Provost John Wallace) recognises the similarity to German osnaburg which he has encountered in his travels & encourages further production.
1738 Carmichael's charity fund founded: Widows of 7 shipmasters will receive a division half-yearly.
1738 Dundee smugglers, bringing French brandy from Arbroath, evade capture at Craigie.
1740 The days of Angus coast smuggling are brought to an end as customs officers position the sloop 'Princess Caroline' at Arbroath.
1740 (approx) Linen thread manufacture is introduced. This will prosper for almost 50 years then dwindle rapidly to extinction.
1742 As trade grows rapidly, Arbroath has 12 vessels, used mainly to carry Baltic flax. Ten boats are trading with Goteborg.
1742 Population is approx 2,500. The Town Clerk counts 'about 250 houses'.
1742 David Mudie, town clerk, describes Arbroath as 'one street (High St) of about 500 paces, & another street (Marketgate) of about 150 paces long', but more streets, of course, existed.
1744 (-1749, except 1747) John Mann is Provost of Arbroath.
1745 The oldest pub in the town, the Lorne Bar in Horner's Wynd (later Commerce Street), holds title deeds from this date.
1746 The Merkat Cross, crowned by a unicorn (present in Copegate, i.e. lower High Street since at least 1546) is considered a traffic hazard and is removed. Metal studs in the form of a cross will indicate it's location in later centuries.
1746 Provost John Mann gifts the building on Braik's Wynd (later church St.) to the Glasites, who will retain it as a Church
1747 A plashmill (where heavy wooden machinery softens the cloth to give a good quality finish), is built in East Grimsby.
1748 The Arbroath Regality Registers re-emerge when the Smiths present the 3 volumes to John Maule, brother of the Earl of Panmure.
During the 1700s the Abbot's House is used as a thread mill.
Up to the middle of this century, Dutch fishing boats dominate Scottish fishing grounds.