Cast iron from Munro & Co's
foundry, found in 1993 by Dafydd W. Price & friends in north Wales
astronomer & meteorologist
The lower portion of the effigy discovered in 1816 by the Abbey's high altar
An Arbroath sailmaker's
needle & palm
1810 A red sandtone model (left) of the Bell Rock Lighthouse, designed by Robert Stevenson, is presented by the engineer to his daughter on completion of the project.
1811 (Feb 1) The Bell Rock Lighthouse shines for the first time. It rises 35 metres (one hundred & fifteen feet) above the intermittently submerged rocks. Due to the success of this project, Robert Stevenson's family go on to design & construct over 90 Lighthouses around Scotland. His son Alan will erect 'Skerryvore', son David 'Muckle Flugga' and son Thomas ' Dhu Heartarch ' on Mull. Thomas will be the father of author Robert Louis Stevenson.
1812 Colvill's mortification (charity fund) is founded: Per annum 60 pounds to the Educational Trust, 10 pounds to Scotch Episcopal clergymen, 10 pounds each to Arbroath's & St Vigeans's poor, & the residue to 20 poor householders.
1812 Some wages are: Mason 2sh. 1 1/2d, Blacksmith 2sh. 8d. House rent (per annum): 60sh.
Food prices: Wheatbread (quartern loaf) 1sh. 4d., Beef 0sh. 8d.
1812 The White Hart Hotel at the S.W. corner of Kirk Wynd, having fallen into a ruinous condition, is rebuilt by Arbroath Corporation. It has been the site of a howff & staging post since the 1500s. The White Hart Livery Stables are to the rear of the hotel in Hill Place where guests can rest their mounts or hire fresh horses.
1812 The Panmure Arms Bar opens in Panmure Street. Burnside Drive will in time cross this location.
1813 The Town Council asks Robt Lindsay, laird on Almerleclose Estate for a Lordburn extension through the estate. He builds, in stone, Horner's Wynd Bridge across the Brothock, the bridge, then, the widest in Britain.
1813 The Regency Signal Tower is completed, to serve as shore base & living quarters for Bell Rock Lighthouse keepers & their families..
1813 (approx) On the knoll named ' The Pretty Thing ' at West Newbigging, is found a burial cist containing an urn, a finely mounted sword handle & possibly the shells of a silver watch.
1813 Patrick Allan is born.
1813 William Munro's foundry opens.
1814 The Bell Rock Lighthouse is painted for the first time.
1814 (Feb 8) Alexander Brown (d. 1893) is born at Grange of Conon. He becomes meteorologist & astronomer, computes the path of Halley's Comet & will be Meteorology Observer at Arbroath for 40 years. At his suggestion a Meteorological Observatory Station is erected at the New (Eastern) Cemetery.
1814-1829 Shipbuilder William Stephen senior operates next to the harbour.
1815 Conservation work begins on the Abbey which has been allowed to become a quarry, the stone having being sold by the town council for various building projects. Now the government has put a stop to this practise.
1815 The Trades Hall is erected.
1815 A Savings Bank is established in Arbroath.
1815 Sir Walter Scott visits the Bell Rock Lighthouse.
1815 Six vessels are built this year by Arbroath shipbuilders.
1815 A beautifully carved but headless figure (now displayed in the Visitor Centre) is found in the NW tower of the Abbey.
1815 (Oct) Napoleon Bonaparte is exiled to St Helena. The gun battery at the harbour in time will be removed, although it is still in existence on the 1822 map.
1816 (Mar 20) Workmen, clearing the debris at the east end of the Abbey in front of the high altar, discover 'a beautiful blue marble stone (from Frosterley or Stanhope, Co. Durham) on which is carved the effigy of the king with the lion under his feet'. The head, shoulders & arms are missing but otherwise complete, down to the lion foot-rest. A coffin below the slab contains 'the bones of a man of considerable stature'. King William the Lion is the assumed subject of the 14th century effigy and the occupant of the coffin.
1816 (May 4) Sir Walter Scott's 'The Antiquary' is published. He uses Arbroath ('Fairport') and Auchmithie ('Musselcraig') in the novel.
1816 (Dec 29) Arthur Saunders Thomson is born in Arbroath. His life he will be a blend of military surgeon, medical scientist, writer & historian, working in India, New Zealand & at the end of his life in China, where, at the fall of Peking, he is in command of the wintering force at Tientsin. He dies there in Nov. 1860.
1817 Seaforth House is built - a mansion for a member of the manufacturing firm of Corsar. It will later be home to Norman Anderson, a flax manufacturer.
1817 2,000,000 yards of Arbroath Osnaburg & brown linen is officially stamped this year under the regulations of the flax industries board of trustees.
1817 (Sep 23) The Edinburgh Advertiser carries an announcement of the death of William Cruikshank, 'late of the island of Jamaica'.
1817 Arbroath is Scotland's biggest sailcloth producer.
1817-1826 Shipbuilder A. Philip operates between the Sig. Tower & harbour.
1819 Some wages are: Mason 1sh. 6d., Carpenter 2sh. 4d. Blacksmith 3sh. 4d. House rent (per annum) 55sh.
Food prices: Oatmeal (peck) 1sh.4d., Wheatbread (quartern loaf) 0sh.11d., Cheese (lb) 0sh.4d., Beef (lb) 0sh. 7d.
1819-1821 Shipbuilder Geo. Dickie snr. operates between Sig. Tower & harbour.