1975 (Feb) Brothock Mill produces the last 'Herald' to be printed in Arbroath. Printing moves to Strachan & Livingston of Kirkaldy.
1975 (Feb 28) Braemar Knitwear's Elliot factory closes.
1975 (Mar 29) James & Vivienne O'Brien open Pleasureland beside Gayfield.
1975 (Apr 21) Yule Newsagent's Cairnie Loan shop closes & will be demolished.
1975 David Chapel is Arbroath's last Provost & Frank Thornton the last senior Bailie before this year's local government reorganisation.
1975 (Jun 9) The Alma Bar & Manhattan Lounge open (in Catherine Street ?).
1975 High Road Bridge is reconstructed & the
Grant Rd/Guthrie Port/Burnside Drive roundabout is built.
1975 The Marine Ballroom is bought by John Air.
1975 (Aug 30) The Salvation Army Citadel opens.
1975 Tayside Region is formed. Angus County Council is abolished & it's functions divided between Tayside Regional Council, Angus District Council & the landward area of Dundee City Council. Arbroath Town Council are losing control of the town for the first time since the reign of King James V1.
1975 A 'low water' helipad is constructed beside the Bell Rock Lighthouse.
1976 Andy Stewart is awarded the MBE.
1976 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'Show Boat'.
1976 (Feb 27) Halliburton open their Elliot premises.
1976 (Apr 4) Yule Newsagents new shop at Cairnie Loan (replacing the demolished one) opens.
1976 (Jun 1) The Angus Bar opens at 3 Millgate.
1976 (Jun 9) The 'But 'n' Ben' restaurant opens in Auchmithie.
1976 Jim Reid & fellow musicians from the Foundry Bar enter & win the Ceilidh Band competition at the Kinross Festival and so the Foundry Bar Band is born.
1976 Cargill's Restaurant at 212 High Street is extended.
1976 The 'Tryst' cafe opens at 30 Millgate.
1976 Halliburton's Sports & Social Club opens at 122 High Street.
1976 The British Linen Bank building at Brothock Bridge is taken over by the Bank of Scotland.
1976 The Bank of Scotland's premises since 1857 at 69-71 High Street, closes.
1976 (Aug) The fishing boat 'Fortuna' , built in Arbroath in 1890, arrives at Tayport to be sold to Hobson Rankin. On board are brothers Alex, James & John Smith, retiring from the sea. The boat, originally named 'Isabella', had been built for & worked by the same family for 86 years. As the 'Isabella Fortuna', she survives (in Wick) to the present day.
1977 'Elliot Nature Trail' by Timmergreens Primary School is published.
1977 Matt Kerr (jnr) takes over the running of Kerr's Miniature Railway.
1977 Old cottages on Victoria Park are demolished.
1977 Squadron Prints are established in Arbroath.
1977 A total ban is placed on herring fishing, to combat seriously depleted stocks.
1977 The old Catherine Street Railway Station (opened 1839) is demolished.
1977 The Arbroath Choral Society is founded.
1977 Centenary of the Arbroath Golf Club.
1977 (Oct 23) The congregation of Inverbrothock Church, James Street, is dissolved. See 1990.
1977 (Nov 18) The 'Moat Lounge' of the 'Portcullis' opens at 4 Conon Terrace.
1978 (Feb) Elliot Junction Signal Box closes.
1978 Matt Kerr becomes District Councillor for Arbroath East Ward.
1978 Angus Training Group relocate to Catherine Street.
1978 The Angus Bar at 3 Millgate becomes The Bothy Lounge.
1978 Yule Newsagent's Commerce Street shop (opened in 1935) closes.
1978 (Oct) Ferrier's florist business at 25 Market Place is bought by Mr & Mrs Haggart
1978 (Nov) Yule Newsagents new premises at 86 High Street (formerly Charles Reid's shoe shop) opens. Toys are now also sold.
1978 (Dec 28) The Arbroath Guide, which has been published at 19 Market Place since 1842, ceases publication. It's name will respectfully remain high on the wall of the building.
1979 (Jan) Angus Housing Assoc. hands over the keys of the 100th house completed at Fergus Sq.
1979 (Jan) The Alliance Building Society opens for business at 76 High Street.
1979 (Jan) Radio North Angus begins broadcasting at Stracathro Hospital.
1979 (Feb 4) The Lordburn Bar at 33 Lordburn is taken over by Sandy Davidson & for a time is known as 'Sandy's Lordburn Bar' before reverting to it's traditional name.
1979 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'Hello Dolly'.
1979 (Feb) Harry A. Farmer, Angus District Councillor & former Town Councillor, dies.
1979 (Mar 1) Arbroath & the rest of Scotland vote to register support or otherwise for the Scotland Act 1978. If passed, this Act would create a Scottish Assembly. However, despite a narrow majority in favour of devolution, the pre-condition of a 40% minimum 'Yes' vote, means rejection by the Government & the Scotland Act 1978 is repealed.
1979 (May 11) The 'Camelot' replaces the 'Moat' lounge at the 'Portcullis, 4 Conon Terrace.
1979 (May 25) The new 'clova' plant at Moray Firth Maltings site in Elliot Ind. Est. is opened.
1979 Matthew Kerr (snr), founder of the miniature railway, dies.
1979 (Jul 27 and Aug 10th) At the Abbey's West Gate the revival of Arbroath Abbey Pageant is proclaimed, the re-enactment of the Declaration's signing scheduled for presentation in Sept. 1980.
1979 (Oct 21) Minor chart band 'After The Fire' play at the Condor Club.
1979 (Oct 26) ' The Ram's Heid ' public bar opens on East Muirlands Road. This area had once been town moorland & used for grazing before it became Muirland Farm.
1979 (Nov) The 'Wishing Well' greeting card shop opens at 221 High Street.
'Late '70s' Wm Booth hands over control of A K Adamson's business in Keptie Street to his son Ian.
1975 - 1979
The 'But 'n' Ben'
Catherine Street & it's Railway Station (as it was in 1859).
(left) Science Dept Staff at Arbroath Academy about 1975,
L to R (back) : Geoff Taylor, Ron Cruickshanks, Bob Shepherd, Rob pond, John Gavine, Dair Bruce, Jim Forrester.
(front) : Rae White, Rod Brown, John Irvin, Bob Smart, -- --.