1990 (Jan) The Seaforth Hotel is bought by Bob & Christine Tindall.
1990 (Feb) 'Christie's' public house occupies 82 High Street.
1990 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'The King & I'.
1990 (May) 'The Curtain Track' opens at 182 High Street.
1990 (May) Paul Mutter finds a water worn boulder of reddish old
red sandstone (190cm x 34cm x 26cm) whilst digging his garden. The
flattened upper face displays a Latin cross with expanded terminals.
1990 (Jun) Arbroath West Kirk on Keptie Street is formed by the
union of St Margaret's and Ladyloan St Columba's.
1990 (Jun 21) The Ark Housing Assoc's new scheme on Burnside
Drive is opened by Liz McColgan, the Dundee born athlete.
1990 AAVO (Angus Assoc of Volantary Org's) is founded in High St.
1990 Alps Electric Co. open premises in Arbroath & will employ 180 people until the plant closes in 2001.
1990 Tom D. Alexander's Greyhound Coach business is sold to Tayside Public Transport Company. The 'Greyhound' name survives.
1990 The Parish Church, Kirk Square, closes on it's amalgamation with Abbey Church.
1990 A further 10,000 sq. ft. of factory area is built at John M. Henderson's Kirkton complex.
1990 The bar at 23 Keptie Street changes back from the 'Malacca' to The 'Imperial'.
1990 The Voigt Partnership purchase Erskine Church in Commerce Street.
1990 (Oct 19) The Palais Bingo, James St. closes. Hillcrest Housing Association buy the property from Granada Leisure for housing.
1990 (Aug) The left & right stain glass windows on the Chancel are transferred from Ladyloan St Columba's Church to St Margaret's.
1990 (Oct) (see above) Both Transept stain glass windows are transferred.
1990 The church building in James St (previously Inverbrothock Church,
closed 1977), is sold to the Arbroath Baptist Church. See 1992.
1991 The population is 19,934.
1991 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'Show Boat'.
1991 Arbroath Rugby Club is formed.
1991 Angus Mental Health Assoc. founded.
1991 New flats are built at Almerie Close, close to the location of Old
1991 (Oct 18) Arbroath Museum - Signal Tower,
after renovation, is reopened by MP Andrew Welsh.
1991 John M Henderson's Kirkton Plant is extended to accommodate
relocated staff from it's Aberdeen office, the closure of which has ended a 125 year
relationship with the city.
1991 Ella Cargill is featured on Grampian TV's 'The Way It Was', discussing the family's holiday
films of 1932-1935 produced by George May and now held by the National Library of Scotland.
1991 The 'Palace', James Street, closes.
1991 Bob Hall's garage at 1 Burnside Drive has closed.
1991 A facilities complex is built at the Red Lion Holiday Park, including an indoor pool,
steam room, spa pool, sauna, games room, snack bar, lounge & the Lions Head bar.
1992 (Jan 22) Francis Webster, weavers in Arbroath since 1795, are put into receivership.
1992 (Jan26) Police Office opens at Lordburn. Parkhouse Primary School stood here 1875-1973.
1992 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'Annie Get Your Gun'.
1992 (Mar 2) The Post Office counter is re-located from Hill Street to the Safeway supermarket.
1992 (Mar 26) The old red telephone boxes (styled on Etruscan tombs) are replaced by modern BT kiosks.
1992 (Apr) Pert's furniture business takes over 104-108 High Street.
1992 PBM (Peterson, Brown & McGill) of Kirkton become Pioneer Power Tools Ltd.
1992 'Parliamo Aberbrothock' by Walter Gray is published.
1992 (-93) Arbroath FC reach quarter finals of Scottish Cup but lose 3-0 to Rangers.
1992 Safeway take over Presto's site at Gravesend.
1992 (Aug) St Margaret's Church dedicates it's new hall extension.
1992 The '277 Cafe' takes over 277 High Street, previously 'Truffles' confectioners.
1992 (Oct 5) The H.O.P.E. Garden Trust is founded.
1992 (Oct 30) The Saltire Leisure Centre opens at 58 Montrose Road, built on the former childrens' play area.
1992 (Nov) 'Iceland' Foods opens at Units 12-13, Abbeygate Shopping Centre.
1992 (Dec) The 'Palace' building in James Street (opened in 1940, & the last of three buildings roughly on this site serving as theatre, cinema, roller skating rink & bingo hall since 1901 & most often named 'Palace', is demolished. It will be replaced by a housing development.
1992 The total value of the assets of the Arbroath Common Good Fund currently stand at £488,667.38
1993 (Feb) The remaining two thirds of the Bathing Pool is demolished.
1993 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'My Fair Lady'.
1993 (Mar) 'The Streets Of Arbroath' by Lawrence R. Burness is published by the Herald Press.
1993 (Apr) 82 High Street is renamed the 'Deil's Heid' public house.
1993 (May 15) The Inverbrothock Baptist Centre opens in the old Inverbrothock Church, James St.
1993 (Jun) The pool of the Public Baths (closed in 1985) is removed to allow the rear of the building to be developed into flats.
1993 (Jun) Three box like stone structures, later considered to be a post medieval (1560 - ) drain, are discovered by a local school teacher on the cliffs at Whiting Ness.
1993 The Lifeboat boathouse & slipway are modified for the new 'Mersey' class Lifeboat 'Inchcape' which arrives in August, replacing the 'Rother' class boat.
1993 Club Metro (previously 'Bally's') opens.
1993 1 Catherine Street is once again ' The Waverly Hotel ', after the closure of 'Legs Disco Bar'.
1993 The Cargill Gallery (formerly the 'Picture This' shop), opens at 52 High Street.
1993 Ian Wight's photo shop at 29 Millgate closes.
1993 Angus College achieves corporate status.
1993 ZigZak Computers open at 34 Keptie Street.
1993 Arbroath FC receive £120,000 transfer fee for Paul Tosh.
1993 (Oct 11) Andy Stewart, our 'Scottish Soldier', dies in Arbroath. His funeral is held at St Andrew's Church.
1993 An excavation by 4 archaeologists on the NW corner of the Marketgate/Ladybridge junction finds remains of
Yorkshire pottery & a single shard of German stoneware dating from the 1200s to the 1400s.
1993 (At 23 Keptie Street, the upstairs level becomes the ' Boogie Bar '.
1993 (94 ?) The 'Plough & Harrow' public house at 3 Fisheracre becomes 'Callaghan's'.
1994 (Jan 29) Work begins on developing the rear of the old Public Baths into residential flats.
1994 (Feb) Arbroath Musical Society's production this year is 'Phil The Fluter'.
1994 The West Links is refurbished. A nine hole putting green & the 'Leisure Bowl' adjacent to the Seaforth Hotel open.
1994 (Apr 4) The 100 year old 'Black Shed' at the harbour is damaged by fire.
1994 (Apr) 'Costcutter' open at 27-29 Montrose Road in the premises which had housed 'Mace' until this year.
1994 Work starts on H.O.P.E. Garden after Hospitalfield Trust offers rent free land.
1994 Angus, which has been 'dissolved' since 1975, is re-established by this year's Local Government Act.
1994 Arbroath's telephone numbers change: pre-fix 0241 becomes 01241 & the existing 5 digit number is now prefixed by '8'.
1994 The 'Taste of India' opens at 30 Millgate.
1994 James B. Craig, china shop, at 37 Millgate, the trading name retained by four owners since 1839, closes.
1994 China Corner (courtesy of Moira & Robin McNeal) open for business at 225 High Street.
1994 The Windmill Hotel becomes Windmill House again as the Hotel closes.
1994 (Oct) Home-Start Angus is launched in Dens Road.
1994 (Oct 22) The Oasis Meeting Place opens on Lindsay Street.
1994 (Oct 28) 'Uncle Buck's Diner' (a short lived venture) opens at 59-61 Ladybridge Street.
1994 (Nov) St Ninian's at Brothock Bridge is being used by Arbroath FC s Supporters Club.
1990 - 1994
H.O.P.E. Garden at Hospitalfield
1992-3 Arbroath FC
reach quarter finals
Arbroath Museum - Signal Tower
The new Police Office
'The Muckin' O'
The Old (Parish) Church in Kirk Square closes 1990.
Image permission of Patrick Anderson
1990: St Margaret's becomes Arbroath West Kirk
A recording (made in July 1972) of the
Parish Church Steeple Bell, Kirk Square