Above is a perfectly unclear image of John Wood's excellent street plan, which gives us a wonderful overview of Arbroath in 1822. The whole map shows the town's limits as being Glovers St (opposite where Common Brae is now), Green St, (off Keptie St), Cairnie Street, an unnamed Russell Street, Fisher Acre & Back (now 'East') Abbey St.
Wood's attention to detail includes the names of major landowners & the owners & names of the town's larger houses. These are listed below:
1822: WEST OF THE BROTHOCK
1. Colvill's Mortification lies where Keptie Pond & park will be, & on land between the present Hillend Road & Common Brae.
2. Denley Farm stands approximately where today Charles Ave. now meets Arbirlot Rd.
3. Wm. Renny's 'Greenbank' lies on the south side of Common Brae.
4. A. Airth's 'Windmill Hill' lies south of 'Greenbank'.
5. Cargill & Sons Ropework stands on the seafront where Gayfield Park is today.
6. Kirk Session land runs from the Millgate Loan/Ladyloan junction to the sea.
7. Mrs. Bremner's cottage lies just east of where Tutties Neuk Restaurant is now, although Tutties itself is shown on the gushet where Millgate Loan & Ladyloan meet.
8. East between these streets & seaward from Ladyloan (now Foxtrot Cres) lies A. Duncan's land.
9. On the seafront of Duncan's land stands Reid & Mann's Ropework.
10. Mrs Bruce's land, encompassing Seaforth House, stretches west along the seafront from the Kirk Session land.
11. The West Links on the map describes the area only landward of the Dundee Road & is marked Towns Property.
12. Bellrock Garden lies on the west side of Millgate Loan.
13. Mr Stirling's land 'Millgate Bank' lies between Bellrock Garden & West Port.
14. Mr Lumgair's 'Hermitage' stands at the south end of Green St. Confusingly there are two Green Streets (!), one running north & one south from Keptie Street. 'Hermitage' is on the latter, which equates to today's Gowan St.
15. Mr Johnston's 'Jock's Lodge' ( built in 1805 ) stands opposite 'Hermitage' across Green Street.
16. West of Catherine St. (not the one we have today but one next west from Green St.), stands Mr Jamieson's 'Pleasance'. A subsequent similarily named street which in turn becames Jamieson Street appears to relate to this source.
17. West of (15), land that today holds Angus College is under the ownership of David Keith.
18. The Gun Battery of 'six twelve pounders' , erected in 1783, still face seawards from the harbour, 7 years after Napoleon's exile to St Helena.
18a. What we know now as the 'Signal Tower' is named the 'Bell Rock Observatory'. It became the Signal Tower when a 'fixed red' light was installed. (See 1901 map).
19. James Dick's land, 'Dickfield', covers Glovers St., Mary St., Hannah St. & Sichars (The Siccars), west of the harbour.
20. Fitchet & Sons name is shown against Brothwick Mill between Millgate & North Grimsby.
21. Shambles Bridge (preceding Brothock Bridge which won't be built until 1840).
22. Robert Lindsay's 'New Almerlie Close', & a Brickwork immediately adjacent, lie north of Bridge St which connects via the bridge across the Brothock with Panmure Street. Today only a short length of Bridge St. remains & Panmure Street has gone.
23. P. Rickard's 'Willowbow' stands just south of Stobcross.
1822: EAST OF THE BROTHOCK
24. Mr. Smith's Mill lies north of an eastern extension of Millgate (which shows a line proposing to carry it on to Kirk Wynd !).
25. Messrs. Aberdein & Gordons' Burnside Mills are located along the west side of Gravesend.
26. Property of Mr Gibson lies between Gravesend & Panmure St. His Tannery lies on the south side of Lordburn.
27. Mr Paterson's Rope Works lie just east of the Brothock, between Panmure st & Hume St.
28. The Spinning Mill of Mr Smart lies beside the Brothock at the west end of Hume St.
29. Inch Spinning Mills of A. Duncan lie beside the Brothock, north of Hume St.
30. Doctor Arrott's Old Amerlie Close House lies east of the Inch Mill & south of Guthrie Port.
31. Mr Knight's Brewery lies along James St.
32. The area to the west side of the north end of High St is still named Eleemo Synary.
33. Messrs. Lumgair & Co's works lie beside the Brothock, at the NW end of West Mill Wynd.
34. Messrs. Webster Glegg & Co's works lie immediately north of Lumgair's works.
35. Ward Mill lies at the south end of Mill Dam, an offshoot of the Brothock.
36. James Marnie's land.
37. John Hay's land lies SW of Fisher Acre and runs behind the old Burying Ground & Convent Church Yard NE of the Abbey.
38. John Mudie's 'Hayfield ' adjoins the SE extremity of John Hay's land & extends to Barber's Croft & Ponderlawfield.
39. T.R. Strachan's extensive acreage lies NE of John Hay's land & runs SE to meet Mr Scott's Hayshead.
40. Mr Scott's 'Hayshead ' lies between Strachan's land & A. Kirkaldy's 'Abbey Bank'
41. A. Kirkaldy's 'Abbey Bank' was bounded by 'Hayfield', Hayshead' & what is now Hayshead Road.
42. The Lands of Springfield & the house of the same name are under David Louson's name.
43. Newgate House & estate are under the name of James Butchart.
44. A Public Slaughterhouse lies on the shore side of East Wynd (now Seagate), near the foot of what is now West Newgate.
45. In the area just east of what will be the entrance of today's King's Drive, lies the Salt Works of Mr Shand.
46. Immediately NE of Mr Shand's Works is another Salt Work owned by John Peatt.