old & new
A - B
Built Demolished Remarks
= no longer exists
Airlie Crescent vanishes
Much information on these four pages is summarised from 'The Streets of Arbroath', copyright Lawrence R. Burness 1992, Herald Press.
Lawrence Burness 1911 - 2004
David Dunbar Buick remembered
Yes, of course you can help ! We need more precise dates - please email what you know !
- = before
+ = after
Abbey Green 1233 ? 1753 ? extant On Abbey land. The Town Council bought the Abbey precinct in 1753 & laid out the Abbey streets.
Abbey Park -1753 extant "
Abbey Path -1753 extant "
Abbey Street -1753 extant "
Abbot Street +1859-1901 extant "
Abbotsford Road +1901-1961 extant Sir Walter Scott's home near Melrose. His novel 'The Antiquary' was written in Arbroath.
Academy Lane +1822-1859 extant Behind the Public Library, formerly the High School.
Academy Street +1822-1859 extant Beside the Public Library, formerly the High School.
Adam Cargill Court +1972-1990 extant Councillor Cargill served the town from 1946 to 1975.
Addison Place +1859-1901 extant A Mrs Addison was the owner of Hillend Cottage at this location.
Aikman Road +1972-1990 extant Perhaps specifically after John Aikman, burgh treasurer from 1608 to 1609.
Airlie Crescent +1901-1961 + 1990 The Earls of Airlie were Bailies of the Regality.
Albert Street +1859-1901 extant Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's Consort.
Alexandra Place +1859-1901 extant Queen Alexandra, wife of King Edward V11.
Allan Street +1822-1859 extant (Was Provost Wynd in 1822) Provost Robert Allan served 1836-9, but maybe after a local wright.
Almerlie Close + 1653 extant Where the Alms House originally stood. The present street only dates from AFTER 1990.
Alpha Hill +1972-1990 extant
Alveston Gardens 1970 ? extant A name requested by Archibald Briggs, an Arbroath tar producer.
Anderson Street -1822 extant Mr Anderson, auctioneer. Connected Dishlandtown & Gowan Streets until split by railway 1850.
Andownie Road +1972-1990 extant
Andrew Barton Street +1961-1971 extant Admiral Andrew Barton. The street was built to house HMS Condor personnel.
Ann Street +1822-1859 1971 Ann Kyd, daughter of John Kyd, Laird of Muirlands. TC compusory purchase of properties 1966.
Annesley Drive +1901-1961 extant Annesley Johnston, daughter of Provost James (or Wm. ?) Johnston who served 1802-5.
Annfield Drive 1971 extant A former farm in the area.
Antiquary Gardens +1990-2002 extant From Walter Scott's 'The Antiquary', written in Arbroath.
Antiquary Place +1990-2002 extant " " " " " "
Applegate - 1445 extant The gait (walk) leading to the Abbey orchards. Ran High St to Gravesend, now only to Elgin Place.
Arbirlot Place 1971 extant A cul-de-sac off Arbirlot Road.
Arbirlot Road - 1822 extant Leads towards Arbirlot from Keptie.
Arbirlot Road West +1961-1971 extant Followed existing old road. Continues Arbirlot Road from Westway.
Arrott Street +1822-1901 1971 Was replaced by a new Reform Street. Dedicated to a well loved local doctor, David Arrott.
Ash Grove 1973 extant One of several streets named after trees.
Back Abbey Street -1822 - 1901 Former Abbey land. Now named East Abbey Street.
Baden Powell Road + 1990 extant Founder of the Scouts.
Bakers Wynd - 1822 extant Used to lead to the public bakehouse.
Baldovan Street - 1901 extant
Bank Street -1901 extant In 1822 was simply 'Millgate Bank', part of the ancient raised beach running parallel to the sea.
Bankhead Crescent 1971 extant From a former local farm.
Bankhead Road +1961-1971 extant " " " "
Barbers Croft +1822-1901 extant Shown as a croft, not a street, on the 1822 map.
Barnet's Brae +1901-1961 extant Was the old Wardmill Road which adjoined the Lillies Wynd / Bog Lane junction.
Barngreen + 1822 extant Site of the Abbey granaries. Was the area beside the street 'Town Head, which became Barngreen.
Bearfauld Road extant
Beech Grove 1973 extant One of several streets named after trees.
Beechwood Gardens + 1990 extant
Beechwood Road +1972-1990 extant
Bell Rock Lane 1807 ? - 1822 Where masons dressed the Lighthouse stones before erection on the Bell Rock.
Bellvue Gardens 1971 extant From a former local villa.
Bellvue Place 1971 extant " " " "
Benedict Road - 1961 extant The monks of Arbroath Abbey were of the Benedictine order. Street has been extended since '71.
Bernard Crescent +1901-1961 extant Bernard de Linton, Chancellor of Scotland & Abbot of Arbroath Abbey.
Birch Path 1973 extant One of several streets named after trees.
Bishoploch Road +1961-1971 extant From the former farm in this area.
Bloomfield Crescent 1971 extant From the large local house of this name.
Bloomfield Gardens 1971 extant " " " "
Bloomfield Place +1961-1971 extant " " " "
Bloomfield Road -1971 extant " " " "
Bog Lane, The Bog -1822 - 1961 The old names of Grant Road. Named The Bog on the 1822 map & Bog Lane on the 1901 map.
Boulzie Hill Place +1972-1990 extant A cannon from the Crimean War overlooked Hill Road, or were Bools (Bowls) played here ?.
Braeheid +1972-1990 extant Head of the brae (slope) running down to St Vigeans.
Braick's Wynd -1822 -1901 Braick is unknown. Became Church St, but the name is now revived for the new houses there.
Brechin Place 1971 extant
Brechin Road -1901 extant Originally St Vigeans Road, then Brechin Old Road.
Brechin Old Road - 1822 -1901 Originally St Vigeans Road.
Bridge Street -1822 extant Connected West Port with Panmure St. at the Brothock, but now just reaches Weavers Close.
Brothock Bridge 1840 extant Previously Horner's Wynd Bridge, then Shambles Bridge around 1822.
Brothock Mill Place +1990-2002 extant From the old Mill opened by James Watt, demolished in 1985.
Brothock Way 1971 extant After the Brothock Water.
Bruce Road +1901-1961 extant King Robert the Bruce, who signed the Declaration of Scottish independence here in 1320.
Buick Rigg +1990-2002 extant David Dunbar Buick, born Arbroath 1854, founded the Buick Car Company in the USA.
Burnside Drive 1973 extant Beside the Brothock Burn (Water). Part of the inner relief road, the rest of which is Ladyloan.
I know something !