Yes, of course you can help ! We need more precise dates - email us if you know !
Built Demolished Remarks
Caenlochan Gardens +1972-1990 extant Cean = head, Lochan = small loch. Found at the north end of Keptie Pond (Keptie Loch ?).
Cairnie Crescent - 1961 extant Cairnie = small fort. The original mansion of the Laird of Cairnie stood at the top of St Vigeans Rd.
Cairnie Loan - 1901 extant "
Cairnie Place - 1990 extant "
Cairnie Road +1901-1961 extant " Was still Forfar Road on the 1901 map.
Cairnie Street - 1822 extant "
Cairniehill Gardens +1972-1990 extant "
Campbell Crescent + 1990 extant
Camperdown Drive - 1961 extant The British Naval victory.
Camus Road - 1961 extant Danish general who landed north of Arbroath & died at Barry when met by Malcolm 11s forces 1010.
Carnegie Street - 1901 extant C. C. Strachan Carnegie of Tarrie.
Catherine Street (1) - 1822 - 1901 The first lay on the south side of Keptie St, roughly where Addison Place & Jamieson St are now. Catherine Street (2) + 1822 extant The current street has grown & now reaches Burnside Drive. Named after Catherine Lindsay.
Cellarer's Ford - 1822 - 1822 The option before Stobcross Bridge was built.
Chalmers Street 1841-1901 extant Patrick Chalmers of Aldbar, MP for the Angus Burghs 1835, 1837 & 1841.
Charles Avenue - 1961 extant Charles Kinnear was an architect in the Burgh offices. The avenue was much extended around 1972.
Church Street -1822+1901 extant Was Braick's Wynd, revived in recent development off this street. Glasite Church stood here.
Cliffburn Road - 1961 extant Cliffburn House took it's name from the burn (stream) which flowed across Victoria Park.
Cliffburn Terrace -1961+1971 " "
Cliffview Court +1990 extant The Ness can be viewed nicely from here.
Clova Avenue - 1961 extant Glen Clova, one of the Angus glens.
Clyde Court + 1990 extant
Cobgate - 1445 - 1822 One of the old names for part of High St.
Colvill Place + 1822 - 1901 John Colvill was Town Clerk from 1784 - 1812 & creator of Colvill Mortification.
Commerce Street 1860 extant Previously Horner's Wynd, the name change in 1860 was much opposed.
Common Brae - 1822 extant The brae (slope) leading to the town's higher common land. Shown but unnamed on 1822 map.
Condor Drive + 1955 extant After HMS Condor & built specifically for Condor personnel.
Conon Terrace +1901-1961 extant After the lands of Conon on which stood the Christian Chapel of St Vigeans, earliest in this area.
Convent Street -1822 extant From the former Abbey lands. Appears un-named on the 1822 map.
Copegate -1822 - 1822 One of the old names for part of High St.
Corrie Court +1990-2002 extant
Corsar Croft + 1990 extant The Corsars were major employers in Arbroath.
Covgate - 1822 - 1822 One of the old names for part of High St.
Cowgate - 1822 - 1822 " " " "
Croall's Wynd - 1822 - 1822 A small street in the Applegate area which led to Croall's Well and abundant spring water. Crossgate Road + 1822 - 1901 The old name of West Keptie Street.
Crossmill Wynd - 1822 +1961-1971 Was where the Town Mission now stands - connected East & West Mill Wynds.
Crudie Place - 1971 extant Named after Crudie Farm, still thriving today.
Culloden Crescent 1946 ? extant The owner of Culloden Farm may have fought at the Battle of Culloden in 1746.
Culloden Road - 1961 extant " " "
Culloden Terrace - 1961 extant " " "
Dale Court 2002 extant After the Dale Cottage Industrial School, on this site 1853 to 1983.
Dalhousie Place -1901 extant George Ramsey (Baron Panmure) became the Earl of Dalhousie. Previously named Lochshade.
Danger Point ------- extant The German Sea (now the North Sea) has removed a few houses from here over the years.
Demondale Place +1990-2002 extant No demons here ! Damysdayll (dam in the dale) contained the mill water.
Demondale Road 1971 extant " " " " "
Denfield Gardens 1971 extant From Denfield Farm, once close by.
Denley Court +1990-2002 extant From Denley Farm, once close by.
Denley Gardens -1990 extant " "
Dens Road -1901 extant
Dickfield Street -1901 1972 James Dick, who owned land west of the harbour.
Dickmont Place +1901-1961 extant Dickmont Den is a long narrow cliff inlet, said to be named after a smuggler wrecked there.
Dishlandtown Street -1822 extant Originally Dishland Town - was Dishlandtown Street in 1901.
Doig's Vennel + 1724 -1822 Probably after Arbroath's first Town Clerk in 1724
Donaldsons Acre +1990-2002 extant
Doocot Park +1990-2002 extant Probably from Hospitalfield Estate's Doocots (Dovecots).
Doocot Place +1972-1990 extant " " " "
Dorward Place 1966 Probably from the dwelling of the keeper of the Abbey's north entrance.
Douglas Avenue +1990-2002 extant
Drostan Terrace +1901-1961 extant An unknown Pict whose name is engraved on the Drostan Stone (St Vigeans Museum). Duke Street +1912 extant Possibly after Rev. Dr. Wm. Duke, minister of St Vigeans 1859 - 1912
Duncan Avenue +1901-1961 extant Sir James Duncan of Jordanstone, MP for South Angus.
Dundee Road ------- extant Probably the best way to get to Dundee.
East Abbey Street extant Previously 'Back Abbey Street'. Named from former Abbey lands.
East Grimsby -1822 extant A name resurrected after the completion of the inner relief road.
East Kirkton Road -1990 extant Kirkton Farm stood in this area. Also close to the 'kirk town of St Vigeans'. Extended before 2002.
East Mary Street -1901 extant 'Sichars' became East Mary St. & Dickfield Street. Became entirely East Mary Street after 1972.
East Mill Wynd -1822 -1971 Ran north from Guthrie Port - now Dens Industrial Estate.
East Muirlands Road extant Once part of the town moor, or common grazing. A farm of this name existed here.
East Newgate +1822-1901 extant Built on Newgate Estate.
East Wynd -1822 -1901 Seagate, the original east entrance to the town, was for a time East Wynd.
Echo Croft -1990 ? extant Cul-de-sac shown but not named on 1990 street plan.
Edradour Gardens +1901-1961 extant Edradour House was in Pitlochry, the home of Archibald Briggs, an Arbroath tar producer.
Edradour Place +1990-2002 extant " " " "
Eleemosynary Street -1822 -1822 The early north end of High Street, also for a time named Rotten Row. Alms given to the poor here.
Elgin Place +1822 +1859-1901
Ella Cargill Place +1972 -1990 Cul de Sac off Kirkton Road. Existed 1990 - but had it been named then ?
Elliot Place +1822-1901 extant ) Mrs Pennycook owned the land on which these streets were built. Her maiden name was Elliot. Elliot Street +1822-1901 extant )
Elm Brae 1946-1990 extant ) Was approach road to Elm Hill. Extended between 1972 & 1990, now has access from Cairnie St.
Elm Grove 1946 extant ) Pre-fabs 1946-1967.
Elm Hill 1946 extant ) "
Elm Park +1990-2002 extant )
Elm Path 1946 extant ) Pre-fabs 1946-1967.
Elmbank Crescent 1946 extant ) "
Elmfield Avenue 1946 extant ) " All of these street names derive from 'The Elms' mansion house, Cairnie.
Emislaw Drive 1963 extant From the former local farm.
Emislaw Path 1963 extant Not really a street - a group of houses between Emislaw Drive & Westway.
Ernest Street +1822-1901 extant Ernest Duke, son of Rev. Dr. William Duke, Minister at St Vigeans 1859 - 1912.
Ethie Place +1961-1971 extant ) Both of these streets named from Ethie Estate.
Ethie Terrace +1961-1971 extant )