Fairfield +1961-1971 extant
Fairport Road +1961-1971 extant Arbroath was 'Fairport' in Sir Walter Scott's 'The Antiquary'.
Falkland Drive +1948-1952 extant After the British naval victory.
Fergus Square ) +1822-1901 extant The 'Fergustown' area was being developed on the 1822 map.
Fergus Street ) -1822 part exits Once ran to Cairnie Street. Rev.David Ferguson, minister of Farnell in the 1700s, owned Lochlands lands.
Fisheracre -1822 extant 1970 map is 1st I have naming it as a street ! Land of the person arranging food supply to the Abbey during Lent.
Flairs Avenue +1972-1990 extant 'The Flairs' (floors) are flattish rocks extending seawrds from the base of the cliffs.
Forbes Place +1990-2002 extant
Fore Abbey Street -1822 -1901 Became West Abbey Street.
Forfar Road -1822 -1961 1822 & 1901 maps show F. Road in to Cairnie Loan. From that point out to Keptie Rd became Cairnie Rd. pre 1961.
Foxtrot Crescent 1972 (?) The SW vestige of Ladyloan - perhaps 'Old Ladyloan' would have made more sense.
Fraser Path ) 1963 extant
Fraser Place ) 1963 extant Not far from Hospitalfield Estate - named in honour of the Fraser family, major Arbroath employers.
Gallowden Avenue ) 1971 extant
Gallowden Crescent ) 1971 extant
Gallowden Road ) -1901 extant Gallowden Farm stood on a site reputed to be a former place of execution. Shown but unnamed on 1901 map.
Garden Street +1822-1901 extant Named after garden land once worked by a Mr Jamieson.
Gardner Lane +1972-1990 extant Provost D. A. Gardner.
Gedy Place 1952 extant Abbot John Gedy had Arbroath's first (wooden) harbour built in 1394.
George Street +1822-1901 extant Named after lands first fued by George Carey.
Gerrard Place +1972-1990 extant
Glamis Road +1972-1990 extant After the seat of the Earl of Strathmore & Kinghorne.
Glebe Road +1972-1990 extant In the vicinity of the glebe (plot of land) of the minister of St Vigeans.
Glenesk Avenue ) +1901-1961 extant
Glenesk Place ) +1901-1961 extant After Glen Esk.
Glenisla Drive +1901-1961 extant After Glen Isla.
Glenmoy Place +1901-1961 extant After Glen Moy.
Glenogil Drive +1901-1961 extant After Glen Ogil.
Glover Street - 1822 + 1901 Built on land belonging to the Incorporated Trade of Glovers. TC compulsory purchase of properties 1966.
Gowan Place )
Gowan Street ) Rev. John Gowans was minister of Lunan Parish between 1790 & 1821. Was this originally named Green St. ?
Grampian Gardens After the Grampian Mountains.
Grange Path )
Grange Place )
Grange Road ) After former farm lands of New Grange.
Grant Road Colin Grant of Woodside, shoe manuf'r & Provost 1895-1898. (Was Bog Lane).
Gravesend The town's earlier burial ground.
Great Michael Road + 1961 Named after the battleship. Built for HMS Condor personnel.
Green Street 2 have existed, one nth, one sth of Keptie St. Both appear on 1822 map, but only the northerly one on the 1859 map. From pasture lands once there.
Greenbank - Was situated behind St Andrews Church. Steep steps led up from Lillies Wynd.
Grimsby - 1445
Grimsby Place - Built on the lands of Grimsby.
Guthrie Hill )
Guthrie Port ) Named after a landowner from the 1600s. See 1901 map below.
Hamilton Green ) See 1901 map below
Hamilton Street ) After a family with long Abbey connections.
Hannah Street - - 1822 1971 ? Hannah Dick, daughter of James Dick who owned land just west of the harbour. TC compulsory purchase 1966.
Harry Farmer Court - 19-- Henry Anderson Farmer was a town councillor from 1954 -1975.
Hawthorn Place - 1973 ? One of several streets simply named after trees.
Hay Terrace )
Hay's Lane ) 18-- Alexander Hay, Provost from 1805 - 1808.
Hayshead Road After the head of the meadow lands N.E. of the Abbey, known as The Hays.
Hayswell Road After a spring in the Carnegie Park..
Helen Street + 1822 - 1859 extant Helen Lindsay, daughter of Robert Lindsay.
Hepburn Crescent )
Hepburn Place ) Abbot George Hepburn, a soldier/prelate. He died at the Battle of Flodden.
Hercules Place )
Hercules Road ) From Hercules Den, now a fine woodland walk.
High Street The main street - was Eleemosynary St, Rotten Row, Cob/Cope/Cov/Cowgate.
Hill Place )
Hill Road )
Hill Street )
Hill Terrace ) All near the Boulzie Hill. Hill Terrace was School Braes.
Hillend Road On the site of Hillend Farm at the south end of Keptie Hill.
Hope Street Hope Kyd, daughter of John Kyd.
Horner's Wynd - 1822 1860 Nicholas Horner, a leading town Burgess in the 1400s. Now Commerce St.
Horner's Wynd Bridge Now Brothock Bridge.
Horologe Hill + 1753 South Tarry mansion house stood here. It's sundial suggested horology.
Hospitalfield Place )
Hospitalfield Road ) The Hospital of St John was a plague & leprosy isolation hospital for the Abbey.
Howard Street The maiden name of the wife of Sir John Ogilvie.
Hume Street 18-- Joseph Hume, MP for the Montrose Burghs in 1830.
Inchcape Road After the first Lord Inchcape.
James Chalmers Road post 1960 Inventor of the adhesive postage stamp & uniform postage rate.
James Street James Watson of Towerbank House. See 1901 map below.
Jamieson Street Garden land at this location was worked by a Mr. Jamieson. Was 'The Pleasance'.
John Allan Place
John Street )
John Street East ) John Street was John Street East. John Butchart owned Newgate House.
Keptie Road )
Keptie Street )
Kinghorne Street After the family of the Earl of Glamis & Kinghorne.
King's Drive 1935 ? Built around the time of King George V and Queen Mary's Silver Jubilee.
Kinloch Street Gaelic 'cean lochan' means 'the head of the wee loch' i.e. Keptie Pond.
Kinnaird Street Marks the wedding of Lord Kinnaird's daughter to a Baronet of Inverquharity.
Kirk Square )
Kirk Wynd ) pre 1580 1890s Kirk Wynd (widened in 1860) by the '90s had became Kirk Square.
Kirkton Place )
Kirkton Road ) From the Kirkton (church town) of St Vigeans.
Kyd Street John Kyd was the Laird of Muirlands.
Lady Bridge A bridge over the Brothock Burn & named after the Lady Chapel close by.
Ladybridge Street This led to the Lady Chapel, the Parish Church of Arbroath. Was New Wynd.
Ladyloan post 1725 Prior to 1725 known as The Highway & later Old Mercatgait - led to the Lady Chapel.
Lamb Terrace John Lamb, Arbroath's Provost 1724.
Lamley Terrace - 1952 Randolphus de Lamley, the Abbey's 4th Abbot 1225 - 1239.
Largo Street post 1961 Fife birthplace of Alex. Selkirk, auth. of Robinson Crusoe. Built for Condor folk.
Leonard Street One of 3 sons of Rev Dr Wm Duke, St Vigeans minister. All 3 name 'Hays' streets.
Lethnot Road post 1961 After Glen Lethnot.
Lillies Wynd (see ) From Guthrie Port to foot of Bog Lane (Grant Rd). After Wm Lilley wood merchant.
Lindsay Street Robert Lindsay of Almerlieclose Estate.
Linton Road Bernard de Linton drew up the Decl. of Arbroath. Chancellor of Scotland & Abbot.
Lochlands Drive ) Built on the Estate of Lochlands.
Lochlands Gardens )
Lochlands Park )
Lochlands Street ) Lochs lay in the hollows east of the Keptie Hills. Was Stobcross Road.
Lochshade Old name of Dalhousie Place, by Keptie Pond.
Long Row (see ) pre 1822 + 1965 An old side shoot of Guthrie Port now gone. Site of Arbroath's last gas street lamp
Lordburn / Lordburngate pre 1445 Perhaps 'lower burn', a tributary to the Brothock used by a cider brewer.
Lowe Place -
Maple Gardens 1973 ? One of several streets simply named after trees.
Market Place Where the markets were originally held.
Marketgate pre 1445 The gait leading to the Market place.
Mary Street pre 1822 Became West Mary Street
Maule Street 1822 to 1832 Family name of Baron Panmure. Once reached as far as James Street.
Mayfield Terrace From an earlier local Villa.
McGregors Walk -
Millfield Place )
Millfield Road ) From earlier Millfield Farm.
Millgate pre 1445 The gait leading to the nearby burgh meal mill.
Millgate Loan The lane leading to Millgate. TC compulsory purchased part 1966.
Moir Place James Kyd Moir was Provost of Arbroath from 1954 to 1957.
Monkbarns Avenue )
Monkbarns Drive ) From Monkbarns House, perhaps an Abbey property, now a rest home.
Montrose Road Leads to Montrose !
Monymusk Road A district in Aberdeenshire owned by the Abbey.
Morley Place John Morley 1838-1923. Liberal MP for the Montrose Burghs 1896-1908.
Mount Zion Brae A nickname for a lane leading to Ladyloan Free Church. adopted 50 years later.
Muirlands Place )
Muirlands Crescent )
Muirton Road ) All relate to the town moor or common grazing.
Murray Place - 1935 John Murray, farmer & contractor of Rosebrae. Vanished under Queens Drive.
Nectan Terrace Nectan, King of the Picts defeated the Angles on Dunnichen Hill in 685.
Ness Drive post 1961 Whiting Ness is the first cliff headland north of Arbroath.
New Marketgate pre 1445
New Wynd Became Ladybridge Street.
Newbigging Drive 1963 After an earlier farm in this area.
Newgate pre 1445
Newton Avenue ) 1963 extant
Newton Crescent ) 1963 extant
Newton Place ) After an earlier farm in this area.
Nolt Loan Road Loan along which the herdsmen drove the nowt (cattle) to Muirlands grazing.
Noran Avenue Arbroath's water supply comes from the Noran Water, a South Esk tributary.
North Grimsby pre 1822 Name revived on building the dual carriageway. Was The Water Passage.
North Newgate Street Became Union Street East.
North Port The old town's northern entrance.
Ogilvie Place )
Ogilvie Street ) Sir John Ogilvy, the ninth Baronet.
Old Mercatgait Previously known as 'The Highway', Old Mercatgait itself became Ladyloan.
Old Shorehead Site of the original haven.
Orchard Street Site of the Abbey orchards.
Linton Road note: From 1726 to 1988 it was presumed that Abbot Bernard (who was also Chancellor of Scotland) was Bernard de Linton, parson from Berwickshire. This is no longer thought to be true, so 'Linton' Road appears to be a misnomer