Palmer Street After Doctor Palmer.
Panmure Street - 1813 Baron Panmure, MP for Forfarshire. Linked Lordburn & Bridge St.
Park Street A yarn drying area, now the Bus Station. A bit of Park St. remains, off Gravesend.
Park View )
Parkview Gardens ) Overlooks the open area between Kirkton & Cairnie.
Patrick-Allan Fraser St. Patrick Allan married Elizabeth Fraser in 1843.
Peasiehill Road After Peasiehill Farm, now Elliot Industrial Estate.
Ponderlaw Lane )
Ponderlaw Street + 1753 Pundirlaw. The pounder here only released stray cattle on payment.
Princes Street One of a rash of streets named with royal connotations.
Priory Crescent From former Abbey lands.
Prosen Drive + 1961 From Angus's Glen Prosen.
Provost Chapel Road Provost David Chapel, the last before local Gov. changes in 1973.
Provost Close Provost Ochterlony gave his title to this close.
Queen Street Another regally named street.
Queens Drive 1935 ? Built about the time of King George V & Queen Mary's Silver Jubilee.
Reform Street 1830 An extension of Maule St named after that year's Reform Act.
Robert Lindsay Place
Robert Street Robert Lindsay of Almerieclose Estate. (See Lindsay St.)
Roseberry Place Archibald Philip Primrose, 4th Earl of Rosebery, 1847-1929.
Rosebrae Was where the Infirmary is now.
Rosefield Place 1963 From a local villa.
Roseville Place From a local villa.
Rossie Street Horatio Ross of Rossie, 1st MP from Montrose Burghs to the Reformed Parliament of 1832.
Rotten Row - 1445 Old name for upper High Street. See also Eleemosynary Street.
Rowan Path 1973 ? One of several streets simply named after trees.
Russell Square )
Russell Street ) Lord John (1st Earl) Russell who introduced the Reform Act of 1832.
St Abbs Road Ebba, 7th century, founded monastic community at St Abbs Head.
St Andrew's Crescent The Patron Saint of Scotland.
St Mary Street Mary Lindsay, Robert's daughter.Saint added to differ from Mary St.
St Murdoch's Crescent 1950 After the Saint, whose chapel ruins can be seen north of Red Head.
St Ninian's Road A chapel to Ninian existed near the Ness.
St Thomas Crescent St Thomas-a-Becket, Patron Saint of Arbroath Abbey.
St Thomas Street Ext'n of East Abbey St., ran right up to the Abbey itself.
St Vigeans Gardens )
St Vigeans Brae )
St Vigeans Road ) St Fechin, perhaps buried close to the church. Died 1012.
Salisbury Place Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne Cecil, 3rd Marquis of Salisbury.
School Brae Led to the High School (now Public Library). Is now Hill Terrace.
School Hill 1573-1860
School Road Leads to Muirfield School.
School Wynd Led from High St to the High School ( now the Library)
Seagate - 1445 Original east entrance to the burgh. Became East Wynd for a time.
Seaton Place )
Seaton Road ) Led to Seaton House.
Shambles Bridge - 1822 Was horners Wynd Bridge, became Brothock Bridge.
Shanks Rigg Alexander Shanks, inventor of the 1st effective lawnmower.
Shepherd Lane George S. Shepherd, Herald Editor & entertainer.
Shore Guess !
Sidlaw Avenue From the Sidlaw Hills, north of Dundee.
Sidney Street Sidney Duke, son of Rev Wm Duke, St Vigeans minister.
Sir William Smith Road + 1960 Founder of the Boys Brigade.
Smithy Croft The Abbey Smithy. The street was re-sited after WW2.
South Grimsby + 1753 Built on the lands of Grimsby.
South Street Built as an extension of Seagate.
Spink Path Robert Ritchie Spink was Provost from 1964 to 1973.
Spink Street After Robert Lindsay's wife whose maiden name was Spink.
Spitalfield Place 1963 A reference to the old home of the Fraser family, Hospitalfield.
Springfield Terrace Springfield House, whose grounds became Springfield Park.
Stanley Street After John Walker's Stanley Works. Family name of Earl of Derby.
Stobcross - 1753
Stobcross Bridge Wooden bridge which replaced Cellarer's Ford. (Corruption of St Abbs Cross).
Stobcross Lane Became Wellgate.
Stobcross Road Became Lochlands Street.
Stoneycroft Lane Stoneycroft was the old name of Gayfield
Strachan Street Built on C.C. Strachan Carnegie of Tarrie's land.
Strathairlie Avenue +1990-2002 extant Replaced the south ends of Strathmore Avenue & Airlie Crescent. Named from both streets.
Strathmore Avenue From the Angus strath. Gaelic for big valley.
Stuart Street From the first feuer of that name.
Sycamore Path 1973 ? One of several streets simply named after trees.
Tarry Dykes Probably the boundary of North Tarry Farm.
Tarry Road Led to North Tarry Farm.
The Highway Became Old Mercatgait & later Ladyloan.
The Pleasance Became Jamieson Street.
The Siccars / Sichars James Dick's land, west of the harbour. Nth end becomes E. Mary St, sth end Dickfield St.
The Water Passage The old name for North Grimsby.
Thornton Gardens Frank Thornton, last senior Bailie before local gov. changes 1975.
Timbergreen Mis-spelling of Timmergreen.
Townhead - 1822 What is now Barn Green & North Port.
Townhead Road Leads to the head of the town.
Union Street East Was North Newgate Street which probably linked E & W Newgate.
Victoria Street Queen Victoria.
Viewfield Road Led to Viewfield House.
Walker Place John Walker, mill owner.
Wallace Street The old Wallace St. (TC compulsory purchase 1966) ran between Millgate Loan & Ladyloan.
Warddykes Avenue )
Warddykes Path )
Warddykes Road ) Warddykes Farm, now gone. Possibly a town wall existed.
Wardmill Road (1) +1822-1901 -1961 From a Ward lands mill of the Abbey. Was where Barnets Brae ran to Bog Lane/Lillies Wynd.
Wardmill Road (2) +1961+1971 extant Was West Mill Wynd. Extended to meet Dens Road between 1972 & 1990.
Warslap Avenue Ware slap (seaweed) abounds just across the West Common.
Waverley Terrace From Sir Walter Scott's Waverley novels.
Webster Court John F. Webster was Arbroath's Provost 1949 - 1954.
Wellgate Was Stobcross Lane.
Wesley Gardens John Wesley, St John's Wesleyan Church was built in 1772.
West Abbey Street Was Fore Abbey Street.
West Grimsby Vestige of the old street ran which from Shore to West Port.
West John Street Seems to have become John Street West !
West Keptie Street Was Crossgate Road.
West Mary Street -1822 1971 Was simply Mary Street before East Mary St. was named. Fell when inner relief road built.
West Mill Wynd - 1822 1969 Existed where the Town Mission is now situated. Wardmill Road now follows this line.
West Newgate - 1800 Built on Newgate Estate.
West Port The western entrance to the town.
Westhaven Gardens -1997 extant After the boat carrying four fishermen lost in the North Sea on the 10th March 1997.
Westway 1961-62 extant Designed as a by-pass, it stopped for a game of cricket. See below.
William Petrie Way
old & new
P - Z
= no longer exists
- = before
+ = after
Wardmill Road (1)
copyright Angus Council
Westway Viewfield Road