1409 A 'Buchan to Arbroath' Admiralty chart exists from this date.
1410 (-1449) Walter Paniter is 20th Abbot. He erects the Abbey Sacristy.
1419 Robert Bowmaker's attempt to become Abbot is unsuccessful.
1427 (prior to) The Chapel of the Almonry has been built by this date ' a little way back
from (upper) High Street and on the south side of the Almonry House'. An early 21st century
excavation between James Street & Church Street produces no evidence of foundations from
this period, unearthing only sherds of medieval pottery.
1434 Auchmithie, it's origins thought to be a Norse settlement from around 1,000 AD, is
documented in the Chartulary records of Arbroath Abbey.
1434 The spelling of the town's name is recorded as 'Aberbrothoc' & Dickmontlaw as 'Dikmontislaw'.
1445 Newgate, Seagate, Marketgate, New Marketgate, Grimsby, Millgate, Lordburngate, Applegate, Rotten Row & Cobgate are all mentioned in an official document as crofts or rural thoroughfares.
1446 (Jan 29) The Battle of Arbroath. The Benedictine Monks appoint Alexander Lindsay, eldest son of the Earl of Crawford, as their chief justiciar, but he proves so expensive " through his retinue of followers & manner of living " that they depose him & appoint Alexander Ogilvie of Inverquharity. Crawford however has taken possession of the town & Abbey so ' an appeal to the sword is necessary '. He is slain along with around 500 Ogilvies & 100 Lindsays. A terrible vengeance ensues on Ogilvie families, vassals & properties, the mutual feuding continuing into the early 1600s.
1449 (-1455) Richard Guthrie is 21st Abbot.
1455 In existence before this date, St Mary's (or Lady) Chapel which gives the names to Ladybridge & Ladyloan, had been built as a chapel-of-ease (a local place of worship to serve those unable to attend the rather remote St Vigeans church) containing three alters. It stands where the NE corner of the modern inner harbour (marina) will be constructed. Locals pay 1lb of candle wax to take their horses & carts across the bridge for the upkeep of the 'Lady Licht'. This is a red candle which shines from a chapel window to guide seafarers & may be the origin of Arbroathians being nicknamed 'Red Lichties'. Superceded by the building of the Old Church in Kirk Wynd (1580-90), the remains of the Chapel will be demolished in 1725 during harbour improvements.
1455 Richard Guthrie resigns, pardoned by the monks for the 'harm he had done to the monastery through his carelessness'.
1456 (-1470) Malcolm Brydy is 22nd Abbot.
1457 By this date the Brothock Burn has been dammed to form the Mawkin Pool.
1462 (Mar) Abbot Malcolm Brydy obtains the privilege from Pope Pius 2 that the parish churches of the Abbey should be subject direct to the bishop of St Andrews & not to the bishop of their own diocese.
1470 Part of Kinblethmont has been sold by the Earl of Crawford to the Guthries.
1470 Ponderlaw is recorded as 'Pundirlaw'. The name refers to the top of the wooded hill where stray cattle were impounded & released on a payment to the 'pounder'. The Abbey received these funds.
1470 Hugh Douglas is examined at the papal court but does not gain the abbacy.
1470 (Oct) Abbot Brydy, imprisoned by Bishop Patrick Graham for non payment of unjustly demanded revenue, writes an appeal to the Pope.
1470 (Nov) Bishop Graham manipulates an election to ensure Richard Guthrie succeeds Brydy.
1471(Apr) (-1472) Guthrie duly provided as 23rd Abbot by Pope Paul II.
1472 (Jan 31) After the death of Guthrie, Francis Ganzaga is granted the position of Abbey commendator, but this does not transpire.
1472 Alexander Scrimgeour becomes 24th Abbot. Although George Boyce (Boys) has been elected by the Abbey, this result is quashed by the Pope.
1473 (Apr 8) (-1476) Graham, now Archbishop of St Andrews, is granted the benefits of Abbot without duties. George Boyce (Boys) appears to carry these out.
1476 (Nov 4) (-1482) George Boyce (Boys) is 26th Abbot, provided by Pope Sixtus IV.
1482 (Aug 8) (-1484) Sir William Bonkil is 27th Abbot.
1484 (Jul 29) (-1502) David Lichton (Lychtone) is 28th Abbot until 1502.
1485 A Chapel, consecrated this year, of Ringan (St Ninian), possibly exists near the site of St Ninian's Well at the east end of a future Victoria Park, beside Whiting Ness.
1485 (Aug 25) Additions are completed to St Vigeans Kirk which is then reconsecrated.
1489 (appr) Lychtone's ordinances reveal the economy & diet of the monastery.
1498 Seaton is recorded as 'Sevtone'.
'In the 15th century', Nicholas Horner is a leading Burgess of the town. He may be the Burgess after whom
' Horner's Wynd ', i.e. Commerce Street, is named.
1400 - 1499
The Mawkin Pool
( as it will appear
around 1880 )